There is also a strong possibility that schools in Aberdeen may get funded as well. The Tree Amigos project proved to be a big success in its first year and we are delighted to be able to build on this going forward.
During the course of the project the children work through 5 min-topics covering:
- Climate change and global warming
- Carbon footprints
- Reducing your footprint
- Trees and carbon offsetting
- Woodland wildlife
There is also a fab day out to plant some trees in Teaghlach wood.
We are very grateful for the support of BAA on this project as without their valuable funding we would not have been able to continue this valuable project. The way that the kids engaged with things last year was absolutely brilliant and the variety of work they produced was staggering.
What the children produced…
- Angus was lucky enough to attend a stage production by Clermiston Primary – all about climate change
- Hillwood Primary made a short animated film that we will be showing on our site shortly
- Some of the Ratho pupils wrote a rap song!
- A whole host of poems about trees were written by children at Cramond Primary
We have picked out four things above but on top if this there were leaf rubbings, posters, paintings and various excursions all in the quest to learn more about our environment and how to protect it.
At the very outset of the project we ask each of the children to complete a questionnaire about climate change. We then logged the results so that they could be compared to the answers of the same questionnaire that is completed at the end. The results are quite startling.
There is no doubt that the project achieves some great results in terms of material but the main thing is that it has managed to change attitudes through education. We are very proud to have education as a central theme to what we do as an organisation.